Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:48:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bobj@ufl.edu
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/20184: IMHO, availability page sends people to wrong Handbook chapter

>Number:         20184
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       IMHO, availability page sends people to wrong Handbook chapter
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
http://www.freebsd.org/availability.html says

    FreeBSD can be downloaded over the Internet for free, using a
    variety of different protocols (FTP, CVS, AFS, and more). If
    bandwidth is expensive for you then it can also be purchased
    on CDROM from a variety of vendors.

    For more information, please see the Handbook Chapter on
    obtaining FreeBSD.

Where the last part is a link to the Handbook _Appendix_ on where to
obtain FreeBSD.

Dropping someone into this page without context may lead to questions
like "Which distfiles do I need to download." or "After 20 hours of
work, I downloaded the distfiles I think I need, now how do I
install them?"

I think it would be better to change this to a link to the chapter
on Installing FreeBSD.

>How-To-Repeat:
View http://www.freebsd.org/availability.html and click on the
"Handbook Chapter on obtaining FreeBSD" link.

Note that the resulting page explains WHERE to get FreeBSD, but
not HOW one should go about getting it most efficiently.
>Fix:
In availability.html:

1) Change the displayed text of the link from
   "Handbook Chapter on obtaining FreeBSD"
   "Handbook Chapter on Installing FreeBSD".

2) Change the link to point to handbook/install.html