Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:41:48 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
Cc:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote 3.5 -> 4.1-STABLE source upgrade (updated)

In message <20000912093419.B29216@carroll.com> Damien Tougas writes:
: On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 05:21:37PM +0700, Max Khon wrote:
: >2) make buildkernel KERNEL=GENERIC && make installkernel KERNEL=GENERIC
:
: Just curious, what is the purpose of doing this step before doing the
: installworld? Is this done do make sure that the the kernel works ok
: before installing the rest of the OS? Secondly, why would I want to
: build the GENERIC kernel instead of my custom kernel?

So that the binaries that are installed will run.  There used to be a
problem, which might now be fixed, that installworld would fail with
the new binaries on the old kernel because of some signal changes
between 3.x and 4.x.

Your custom kernel is fine.  Just make sure that you've updated it to
reflect the 3.x -> 4.x GENERIC config changes.  kernel config files
aren't too portable across major releases.

Warner