Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 15:28:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Yuichiro Abe <y_abe@sprynet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: About PPPoE

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Yuichiro Abe wrote:

> > before going in this direction, are you sure your network connection is
> > up? can you ping hosts through the link?
>
> I put the command, "ping localhost" and "ping y-abe" where "y-abe" is the
> name I put for my computer. Then I got the message below.
>
> PING localhost.my.domain. (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0.219 ms
> and looped.

this looks fine.

> I think localhost works correctly. Am I right? But I got the messge when I
> excuted for y-abe. The messge I got is below.
>
> PING y-abe.my.domain (216.175.70.95): 56 data bytes
> ping: sendto: No route to host
> and looped.

ok, the link does not seem to be up, or there is not an established route
for the packets.

> I believe that this file must be something wrong. If I am correct, The IP
> address is wrong. The IP address I used is what I got automatically when I
> connected to the net.

when you connect, the IP is set by the ppp protocol.

so, it may be wrong. the idea, to me at least, is to ping through the
link, meaning to a host outside of yourself. try www.freebsd.org.

> Let me answer your question you asked before.
> > > name_of_service_provider:        // I put "sprynet"
> > >  set device PPPoE:xl0                // xl0 is the port that my ethernet
> card is on.
> > >  set MRU 1454
> > >  set MTU 1454
> > >  set authname login_name@domainname        // My login ID I got from ISP
> > >  set authkey my password                              // My password I
> got from ISP
> > >  set dial
> > >  set login
> > >  add default HISADDR
> > >  accept CHAP
> > >  enable dns

ok, thanks for enlightening me. just wanted to make sure these were set
correctly for you to log in.

without being logged in, it's hard to send data through the network, after
all..

> since I thought that /etc/hosts was wrong, I changed the file above to the
> below.
>
> 127.0.0.1  localhost.my.domain  localhost
> 216.175.70.95 y-abe.my.domain  y-abe

try to set this to your domain name, not the default entries. for the most
part, if you're using DNS, the /etc/hosts file is never consulted.

> Did I do something wrong?

nope. these are fairly minor configuration issues, probably outside of
what's preventing you from logging on.

> > ok, on 127.0.0.1. you should leave that line as "127.0.0.1 localhost
> > localhost.domain" (with domain set to your TLD, of course).
>
> Let me ask you something stupid. What does TLD stand for? And what does it
> mean?

TLD stands for "Top Level Domain". in my case, it would be ORG. i used the
term somewhat incorrectly in the last email, i guess. domain and TLD would
be the correct usage.

 my own /etc/hosts file looks like this:

127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.caustic.org

64.163.147.186           pogo pogo.caustic.org

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
   "if my thought-dreams could be seen..
       "they'd probably put my head in a gillotine"
	     -- Bob Dylan