Date:      Wed, 04 Feb 1998 15:48:52 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@McKusick.COM>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kirk's soft-update integration..

> I am mostly done with the patches.
> and I have changed the new code to work with FreeBSD.
> Whistle owns this work, however the patches will probably
> make their way back  into -current at some stage.
> the new code itself will possibly have to be fetched by each user,
> maybe kirk might set up a 'sign-to-get-it web page or something.

Ummm.  I still completely fail to see why OpenBSD was able to
integrate all the hooks AND make the two "encumbered" (sorry
to use that word ;) files available on their web site without
any such hoop-jumping.

I really do also get the feeling that the intervention of whistle in
this matter has only vastly overcomplicated the situation for the
average user.  As amancio says, why can't we just ftp the files from
someplace?  I've asked Kirk about the method that OpenBSD used and he
didn't seem to have any objections to what they're doing, so why will
FreeBSD's support require a signature in blood before we can do the
same thing?

					Jordan