Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:57:00 -0700
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Francisco Borggia <Prabax@takas.lt>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Open source

On Sunday 07 April 2002 10:10 pm, Francisco  Borggia wrote:

>    There is  a  heep of  files.  Where does the execution
> begin after everything
>   is  loaded?   When I read some C code for Windows or DOS,
> there is Winmain() or main()
>   functions. What is here of that  kind?

FreeBSD is an operating system. As such it has a whole bunch of components,
each with their own entry of execution, and several with NO entries of
execution. You won't find "Winmain()" in FreeBSD (or in any standard C
textbook either for that matter). Some components will have main function. If
this is where you want to start, then check out the "grep" command. It will
help you find it.

So where do you start looking? I would suggest the FreeBSD documentation that
came with the system, particularly that chapter out of Kirk McKusick's book
"The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System". Then I would
either start looking at the kernel itself if you feel masochistic enough, or
something simpler like "fetch". If you know C, then browsing through the C
Library is quite enlightening.

David