Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:31:23 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bootstrapping issues with groff(1)

--XOIedfhf+7KOe/yw

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 12:43:24PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >=20

> > > Do not remove the USRDIRS and INCDIRS and replace it with mtree (ie m=
ake
> > > hierarchy). There's no need to duplicate the complete hierarchy in=03=
the
> > > object tree. Also, mtree fiddles with ownership and mods, which is not
> > > appropriate when building.
> > >
> > The -U flag to mtree(8) could be eliminated for this case...
>=20
> According to the manpage, if you remove -U it doesn't create new
> directories or symlinks. At least that's how I interpret it. The whole
> purpose of running mtree is the creation of directories, so it's a minor
> discomfort when it doesn't do that :-)
>=20
It appers that running mtree(1) with -U under non-root account works OK,
i.e. it creates all missing directories, and exits with status of zero.

> > > Which additional directories do you need?
> > >
> > Everyting below /usr/share/tmac and /usr/share/groff_font:
> [snip]
> > The new groff(1) release is likely to provide new groff_font
> > subdirectories, so we would need to update USRDIRS every time
> > we upgrade groff(1).  Does it look reasonable?
>=20
> If we intend to upgrade groff(1) once a week, no. If we do it once a
> year, yes.
>=20
> It's is a long list of directories and I prefer we do not need to sum
> them up in src/Makefile.inc1. On the other hand, I also don't want to
> use mtree.
>=20
> This is what I'm thinking about:
>=20
> 1.  Determine if there's a real bootstrapping problem
> 2.  If there's no bootstrapping issue, goto pub :-)
> 3.  Add list of directories to src/Makefile.inc1
> 4.  Write script to parse mtree files for use in build
> 5.  If not possible, reconsider using mtree
> 6.  else, replace lists by running the script.
>=20
> Thoughts?
>=20
What if we create the mtree(1)-compatible BSD.world.dist?
The below was generated by ``mtree -cdin -k type,mode''
under 4.2-STABLE.

--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,