Date:      Sun, 02 Dec 2001 22:19:16 -0500
From:      "Michael O'Hara" <michael.j.ohara@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Why is i810 driver only 8-bit?

Hi

I'm running FreeBSD 4.4 (i386), with XF86 version 4.1.0. The i810 driver
seems to work, but the best colors I can get are 8-bit (at 1024x768).
Nothing in the documentation suggests that the driver is only 8-bit, and
when I had Red Hat on here I had 24-bit color.  The 8-bit color is
really annoying as all the color maps get easily screwed up.

In my XF86Config file, in the driver section I have

        Driver      "i810"
        VendorName  "Intel"
        BoardName   "i810e"
        BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
        VideoRam    16384
        Option      "NoDCC" "True"
        Option      "NoInt10"

and in my screen section, I list the displays with depth 24, 15, then 8
(in that order), and 8 always gets selected.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

PS: My cheap motherboard won't accept video cards, or at least I can't
find the jumper for it and I can't get to the bios with a card in there.