Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:50:03 GMT
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sparc64/121458: The 7.0 sparc64 release has a broken compiler and a	broken pkg_add system

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/121458; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To: Paul Foster <Elderspy@gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: sparc64/121458: The 7.0 sparc64 release has a broken compiler
 and a	broken pkg_add system
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 09:47:23 +0100

 Paul Foster wrote:

 > I tried building a couple of ports using the "make" command, those being "unrealIRCd" and its dependancy, and "nano"  I was met with a looping compiler, I am new to FreeBSD so I didn't know it was looping till I watched it 5 hours later.  I tried to just get the package and work from there, I used the pkg_add command and was unable to retrieve the package from your servers with both nano and unrealIRCd.  I had to manually connect then download the packages to the directorys I wanted them in.  Keep in min d this release is freshly installed as of 22 hours ago straight from the 7.0 CD I downloaded from your ftp site.  If its relevent I'm using a SUN netra x1
 >> How-To-Repeat:
 > Try to make any port or "pkg_add -r" any package.

 Please show us the evidence of your problems, don't just give your
 interpretation of the causes.

 If gcc is "looping" it may just be trying to use more memory than
 present on your system, causing it to swap and perform very slowly.

 Packages are believed to be available in the correct directory but were
 only put there in the past couple of days (note the delay in the release
 of 7.0 for sparc64).

 Kris