Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 2014 16:12:31 +0000 (UTC)
From:      John Case <case@SDF.ORG>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: How can sshuttle be used properly with FreeBSD (and with DNS) ?

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for responding.

Just for the record, I removed my natd and ipdivert lines, so that
sshuttles divert rules were the only rules on the system ... I made my
system work without my own natd/divert by putting some static route
definitions into rc.conf.

Anyway, it still worked fine for tcp over the ssh tunnel, but it didn't
help the UDP tunneling, which supports your conclusion.

What is the solution here ?  Or more importantly, what is even the
problem?  sshuttle documentation (the readme) makes some vague references
to FreeBSD not handling forwarding of UDP properly, which is why the
diverts for it go into place at all ...

Do we solve this problem by fixing sshuttle (perhaps putting in more
complex ipfw rules for it to inject) ?  Or do we solve this problem by
fixing FreeBSD, and making forwarding "work" with UDP properly ?

It doesn't work at all now, but I'd like to at least get a sense as to
what the real problem to solve here is ...

Thanks.