Date:      Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:25:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jonathan@kc8onw.net
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8ystein_Holmen?= <webmaster@uhort.no>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebuilding "world" without physical access

> Øystein Holmen wrote:
>
>> users. Could I just stop apache and follow the canonical way, except  I
>> don't go into single user mode?
>
> Usually works. I've never rebooted into single-user during the upgrade
> procedure and haven't encountered any problems in 10 years of doing it
> that way. Also, often it isn't possible, for example, when using a
> hosted server w/o remote console access.
>
> mkb.

I've done it myself several times as well but I was right next to it if
something went wrong.  As long as you can deal with it being down for
however long it would take to get to it then I would say go for it.  Just
be sure to follow all the usual warnings, back everything up etc.  As
someone else mentioned you don't even have to stop any services on the box
although depending on how far you are upgrading you may want to recompile
ports after the upgrade.

HTH,
Jonathan