Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 17:20:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   device naming convention

What is the FreeBSD naming convention for devices of disk slices and
labels? Considering my system is installed on the first partition of
/dev/wd0 (non-dedicated), these are the block-device interfaces I
have to my disk:

wd0     wd0c    wd0f    wd0s1     wd0s1c    wd0s1f    wd0s2
wd0a    wd0d    wd0g    wd0s1a    wd0s1d    wd0s1g    wd0s3
wd0b    wd0e    wd0h    wd0s1b    wd0s1e    wd0s1h    wd0s4

Questions:
1. What are wd0[a-h] used for?
2. If wd0s1 is my first slice, why isn't it named wd0s0?
3. If I format wd0s2 as any type (Xenix for example),
   will /dev now contain wd0s2[a-h]?

Assuming /dev/wd0s2 contains a few blocks, ie /dev/wd0s1
doesn't span to the end of disk:
4. If I want to use /dev/wd0s2 as a raw slice for reading
   and writing, what are the steps to follow?
4a. Do I need to format the partition as any type? If so
    is there a recommended type (perhaps one which won't
    be recognised by the bootloader would be preferable)?
4b. Should I then be using /dev/rwd0s2 or /dev/rwd0s2a
    for reading and writing (of course, this is assuming
    block i/o of multiples of 512 bytes)?

Lastly, where else could I have found this information other
than asking on the FreeBSD mailing list?

Thanks,
Marc Tardif