Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 17:09:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU (Veggy Vinny)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, dg@root.com, jdd@vbc.net, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, chad@gaianet.net, isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

> On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Joe Greco wrote:
>
> > > 	You're probably right since I asked him if a 10MBps or 10/100Mbps
> > > card would be better for the ethernet from the machine and he said, the
> > > max is 3MBps, 1.544MBps in/1.544MBps out full deplex.
> >
> > Remember that an Ethernet starts getting rather crowded around that point
> > (at least if you believe in low latency and high performance, like I do)
> > which means that you do not want tons of other traffic on such a wire.
> >
> > You might want to get the 10/100 card given that the current prices are
> > really not that far apart, and it will not limit you in the future.
>
> 	We are getting the SMC 10/100 cards but reading the recent FreeBSD
> mailing lists from Rod and others, it seems like there is currently a
> problem with the drivers with the newer chips used on these cards so until
> the cards are supported, then we need to either wait or just go try to
> look for cards with the older chip ending with DST.

You mis-interpretted my posting.  The SMC9332DST work, if you can find
units (and yes, I have your other email, but can't respond about product status
until I call into the master distributor in the morning and see how many
are left), the problem is SMC discontiuned the SMC9332DST and units are
hard to find.  I have some, but they are commited to orders.  I will see
about getting more of them in the morning. ( A heck, it wasn't as late
as I thought.  I tied up 5 units for you, give me a call and we can
discuss the order).

SMC did the RIGHT thing, they came out with a new model SMC9332BDT when
they changed to the PHY/MII interface, these cards are known not to work
with the current code in FreeBSD (all branches).  Some one has posted
a butchering note of the driver that made it work for them.  David Greenman
and myself took a quick look at the code and see what can be done quickly
to fix several of the cards (including the SMC9332BDT) and he is working
on this presently.

My SMC9332BDT evaluation unit just arrived this afternoon and should be
in David's hands this evening.  Matt Thomas has already posted that he
has it working with BSDI, and pointed out the lacking functionality in
FreeBSD that is makeing it hard for him to tranplant the code.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD