Date:      19 Jan 2000 09:51:31 -0800
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: USE_BISON

 * I am *quite* surprised at the need for this.  Bison *cannot* be depended
 * on by GNU software as they must build on Solaris, HP-UX, etc...

But many of them depend on gmake, don't they?  Why do you think bison
is so special?

 * 								    Maybe a
 * closer look at the problem is in order.  I don't know of any GNU autoconf
 * scripts that don't test for `yacc' if `bison' is not installed.

What about those that don't use autoconf?

 * > bc-gcc-2.7.2p1.0.2.log:bison: not found
 *
 * This one *really* surprises me as I know it uses GNU autoconf.  An error
 * in the building I would believe, but not in the configuring.  I have a
 * feeling there is something else going on.

I don't know about that one but I took a look at gnats.  It dies in
the gnats/ subdirectory.  The subdirectory's Makefile has
"BISON=byacc", but for some reason it's passing "BISON=bison" from the
parent make and that's why it's trying to run bison.

If I go in the gnats/ subdirectory and type gmake, this is what I get.

===
## gmake
expect 10 shift/reduce conflicts
byacc ./getdate.y -o getdate.c
usage: yacc [-dlrtv] [-b file_prefix] [-o output_filename]
            [-p symbol_prefix] filename
gmake: *** [getdate.c] Error 1
===

Whatever.  I'd rather just supply bison than waste our time fixing
them all. ;)

Satoshi