Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:03:27 +0200
From:      Jochen Fahrner <freebsd@fahrners.de>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation fails after creating disklabel

Hi,

> After creating the partitions the installation aborts with the
> following error message:
>
> "Error mounting /dev/ad0s5 on /mnt: Operation not permitted"

I've got it! Disk partitioning works not the same way as on i386
platforms.
The normal way is to have "slices" (created by fdisk), each slice
divided into "partitions" (using disklabel).

On FreeBSD PPC (Mac only?) disklabel cannot divide slices into
partitions. Each slice can only have 1 partition. So one has to setup
the whole partition layout with Mac OS disk utility, and then create
the correct partition in each slice using disklabel.

I think this should be explained somewhere in the install documentation.

Jochen