Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 12:56:03 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Paul Saab <ps@mu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using a Compaq Proliant DL360 with FreeBSD

On 2002-May-22 23:11:33 -0700, Paul Saab <ps@mu.org> wrote:
>Which DL360?

I managed to find one locally which I believe is identical to the
one I want to use (which is ~4000km away).  It's a DL360 R01 P1266.

>There is the DL360 which has the ida controller on it with a fxp for the
>ethernet.

Having checked, this is the one I've got.  And I have confirmed that
it will mostly run 4.5-RELEASE.  (The floppy didn't work - it kept
whinging about "direction bit not set", but I seem to recall seeing
some fdc fixes recently).

>  The DL360g2 is supported by the ciss and bge for ethernet..
>You will really need a really recent 4.5 or use a 4.6-RC on it.

I was fairly certain it wasn't a G2.

To answer my questions
>Peter Jeremy (peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au) wrote:
>> I would like to install FreeBSD (probably 4.5) on a Compaq Proliant
>> DL360 but I'm not sure if it's supported.  My two concerns are:
>> 1) The "Integrated Smart Array Controller".  Is this the same as
>>    either the "Compaq Smart RAID" (supported by ida) or "SmartRAID
>>    5* series" (supported by ciss)?

This is an "ida" controller as far as FreeBSD is concerned.

>> 2) The embedded NC3163 ethernet.  According to pci_vendors, this
>>    is 0E11:B134 - and I can't find that PCI id in any of the
>>    drivers.

And this is a re-badged 82557 or similar.  The card is 0E11:B134, but
the chup is 8086:1229.