Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 16:27:54 -0400
From:      Allen Thomas <w3craft@attbi.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   XFree86 & Alpha Demi-Sable

Hi --
I have been as yet unsuccessful with installation and operation of any
version of XFree86.
Each time I type startx I get a crash and reboot.

Current Config:
Demi-Sable Alphaserver 2000 with SRM Console version 5.3-2, 128mb ram.
Installation of NT4 sp6a on a separate drive which functions properly.
Installed FreeBSD 4.5 alpha which runs fine.   I upgraded to XFree86-4.
PCI Diamond Stealth 2000 2mb Video.
PCI SMC 10\100 nic.
PCI Symbios SCSI controller card.
Gateway Vivitron svga monitor 75hz at 1024 and max 120 vert.
I have 2 2gig SCSI hard drives for FreeBSD with /usr on one and
everything else on the other
No ISA cards.

Attempted solutions:
I replaced the ISA Qvision card with a PCI Diamond stealth 2000
and replaced the DEC nic with a SMC.  Both because I thought I may be
having
compatability problems.
I upgraded to XFree86-4.
I have run XFree86 config from sysinstall which does create a config
file.
I have edited the config to reflect the default color depth.
XFree86 -configure crashes the computer as well
I tried to install KDE3\QT but have had errors each time with the
install
All this with several software reloads along the way.

Next approach: (Unless you have another suggestion)
Install FreeBSD 4.6RC1 Alpha

I would love to hear from someone with alpha experience.
Your help would truly be appreciated.
Thank You,
Al Thomas