Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 15:26:55 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca>
To:        Creighton K L Lai <lai@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation on ide#2

On Fri, 23 May 1997, Creighton K L Lai wrote:

> 	I was wondering if I can use my other hard drive (IDE bus#2 master
> which should be /dev/wd3) to install.  Since my C drive is primarily used

I'll relate my experience, even if it wasn't a totally successfull one.

I wanted to do just the same thing, but the installation floppy (and the
GENERIC kernel later on) recognized the drives as wd0 for the first IDE,
the Win95 one, and wd2 for the second one (I assume the slave on the first
controller would be wd1 and the slave on the second would be wd3).

I installed Boot Manager on both drives and I could switch between drives
with no problems, except that I could never get the kernel to boot from
wd2, even after compiling a custom kernel with the line:

config          kernel  root on wd2

I had to type

1:wd(2,a)/kernel

or some such thing everytime, or it would "panic" when it didn't find wd1
(which of course is not there). Changing the devices on the fstab file
didn't work either....)

Maybe you could plug your Win95 drive to the second IDE controller,
install FreeBSD on a drive on the first controller and install Boot
Manager on the FreeBSD drive.  There may be a simpler way that this, of
course, but these are my two cents.

Antonio
"I myself have always disliked being called a 'genius'.  It is fascinating
 to notice how quick people have been to intuit this aversion and avoid
 using the term"  --  John Lanchester,  in  "The Debt to Pleasure"