Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:07:36 +0200
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Uneven load on drives in ZFS RAIDZ1

On Dec 19, 2011, at 11:00 PM, Stefan Esser wrote:

> Am 19.12.2011 19:03, schrieb Daniel Kalchev:
>> I have observed similar behavior, even more extreme on a spool with =
dedup enabled. Is dedup enabled on this spool?
>=20
> Thank you for the report!
>=20
> Well, I had dedup enabled for a few short tests. But since I have got
> "only" 8GB of RAM and dedup seems to require an order of magnitude =
more
> to be working well, I switched dedup off again after a few hours.

You will need to get rid of the DDT, as those are read nevertheless even =
with dedup (already) disabled. The tables refer to already deduped data.

In my case, I had about 2-3TB of deduced data, with 24GB RAM. There was =
no shortage of RAM and I could not confirm that ARC is full.. but =
somehow the pool was placing heavy read on one or two disks only (all =
others, nearly idle) -- apparently many small size reads.

I resolved my issue by copying the data to a newly created filesystem in =
the same pool -- luckily there was enough space available, then removing =
the 'deduped' filesystems.

That last operation was particularly slow and at one time I had =
spontaneous reboot -- the pool was 'impossible to mount', and as weird =
as it sounds, I had 'out of swap space' killing the 'zpool list' =
process.
I let it sit for few hours, until it has cleared itself.

I/O in that pool is back to normal now.

There is something terribly wrong with the dedup code.

Well, if your test data is not valuable, you can just delete it. :)

Daniel