Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 17:33:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Why is root's crontab different?

In tracking down the cause of my "/var/log/maillog.0: No such file
or directory" errors from newsyslog, I "discovered" that I had both
a root crontab entry and /etc/crontab. Both of these were running
newsyslog at the same time and they were conflicting with each
other.

My question is why is root's crontab entry treated differently (i.e.
a file in /etc) as opposed to just having a crontab (in /var/cron/tabs)?

Thanks,
-SR