Date:      Mon, 06 Aug 2001 17:11:05 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@i-clue.de>
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@monk.via.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Largest UID value ?

Joe McGuckin wrote:

> What is the largest legitimate user id value?
>
> getpwent() returns a uid_t which is a 32 bit unsigned it.
>
> But, user 'nobody' (which historically had a user id of -1) has a
> user id of 65534.

This is because the 32 bit signed integer -1 has exactly the same bit
pattern than 32 bit unsigned int 65534. It's only a different
interpretation of that bit pattern.

> Will it break things if I start adding users with uid's  greater
> than 65536 ?

Even 65536 will break things, as this is greater than MAXINT for
unsigned 32 bit integer values. For organizational reasons, small
negative values (which translate to values betwenn 65k and MAXINT)
should also be avoided. Thus, as a rule of thumb, UIDs should stay below
65500.

HTH
-Christoph Sold