Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 01:09:41 -0700
From:      Farooq Mela <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Quick question about x86 asm

Hi -hackers,

I'm developing some assembly routines that are called from a C library
under FreeBSD.  Some of these routines do not return anything (ie,
prototyped in C, their return type is 'void').  Does the compiler
expect that the asm routines that don't return anything will preserve
the value of %eax?  That is, must we push it and later pop it before
returning from the routine, or are we free to modify it as we please
without restoring its value to what it was when the routine was
called?

Thanks.

--
farooq <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>