Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:25:24 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        dev@unixdaemon.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Reading RELENG_6 kernel tunables?

On Nov 11, 2005, at 9:15 PM, Dev Tugnait wrote:

> sysctl -a; man sysctl
>
> On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 18:38 -0600, David Kelly wrote:
>> /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES says:
>>
>> # 2.  In /boot/loader.conf, set the tunables kern.maxswzone,
>> #     kern.maxbcache, kern.maxtsiz, kern.dfldsiz, kern.maxdsiz,
>> #     kern.dflssiz, kern.maxssiz and kern.sgrowsiz.
>>
>> Is loader.conf in some sort of different world than sysctl(8)?
>> Shouldn't
>> I be able to at least view the current settings using sysctl? I
>> understand these are things which may have to be set in stone
>> before the
>> kernel starts running proper. Just want to see the current value.
>>
>> # sysctl kern.maxssiz
>> sysctl: unknown oid 'kern.maxssiz'
>>
>> Show how can a view the current setting and confirm my messing with
>> loader.conf took hold?

Been there. Done that. Read sysctl(8) before posting the first time.

# sysctl -a | grep kern.maxssiz
#

No output. Did *you* try your suggestion before posting?

sysctl(8) says:

      -a      List all the currently available non-opaque values.
This option
              is ignored if one or more variable names are specified
on the
              command line.
      -o      Show opaque variables (which are normally suppressed).
The for-
              mat and length are printed, as well as a hex dump of
the first
              sixteen bytes of the value.

-a didn't do the job, and neither did -o, so I asked here.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net