Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2011 07:05:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Chris <devnullaccount@yahoo.se>
To:        Nerius Landys <nlandys@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bridge, dpcpd, sshd

--- On Thu, 3/24/11, Nerius Landys <nlandys@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Nerius Landys <nlandys@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Bridge, dpcpd, sshd
> To: "Chris" <devnullaccount@yahoo.se>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Date: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 1:56 AM
> >
> > I have a server machine that I use as DHCP server,
> sshd login etc, and since I have multiple Ethernet
> interfaces on it, I would like to use two of those for the
> internal network to avoid adding one more ethernet switch
> for just one extra machine. DHCP should configure hosts on
> both those interfaces and all the hosts should be on the
> same subnet.
> >
> > So, I set up a bridge interface as per the FreeBSD
> handbook (ch. 31.5), but now dhcpd is refusing to start
> during boot as it claim that the "bridge0" interface doesn't
> exist. If I manually start dhcpd with the same parameters
> after the machine has come up, it will start and it will
> also work as expected and assign addresses to users
> connecting from teh bridge interface.
> >
> > sshd seems to do something similar, it refuses to
> start, but can manually be re-started later on.
> >
> > Is this some kinf of expected behavior, or does it
> sound like I'm doing something badly wrong? Can I force
> bride0 to be configured earlier in the boot so it is always
> there when the daemons start waking up?
> >
> > Configuration info below.
> >
> > TIA,
> > =A0Chris
> >
> > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D rc.conf extract =3D=3D=3D=3D
> > dhcpd_enable=3D"YES"
> > dhcpd_ifaces=3D"bridge0"
> > cloned_interfaces=3D"bridge0"
> > ifconfig_bridge0=3D"addm dc0 addm dc1 up"
> > ifconfig_bridge0=3D"inet 172.16.0.100/24"
> > ifconfig_dc0=3D"up"
> > ifconfig_dc1=3D"up"
> >
> > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D sshd.conf extract =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> > ListenAddress 172.16.0.100
> >
> > =3D=3D=3D the dhcpd.conf is quite standard and does not say
> anything about the interfaces, that info is in rc.conf above
> =3D=3D=3D=3D
> >
> > =3D=3D=3D /var/log/messages extract =3D=3D=3D=3D
> > =A0dhcpd: bridge0: not found
>=20
> I am running a very similar setup.=A0 I learned from my
> own experience
> that sometimes little things like the order of statements
> or what's
> exactly inside the statement affects the outcome.=A0 In
> any case after
> much tweaking I got my router to work, and here is my
> complete
> rc.conf.=A0 People on this mailing list have helped me
> come up with my
> rc.conf (thank you all):
>=20
> gateway_enable=3D"YES"
> hostname=3D"speedy.i"
> ifconfig_fxp2=3D"DHCP"
> cloned_interfaces=3D"bridge0"
> ifconfig_bridge0=3D"addm fxp0 addm fxp1 addm re0 addm ath0
> up"
> ifconfig_fxp0=3D"up"
> ifconfig_fxp1=3D"up"
> ifconfig_re0=3D"up"
> [...]

Hi Nerius and thanks for your reply.

I tried changing rc.conf as per your suggestion and added the ipv4_addrs_ c=
ommand, but it did not manage to set any address on the bridge anyway, and =
I'm still getting errors starting the daemons because the bridge isn't crea=
ted yet.
And then I realized how long it has been since I upgraded that machine, it'=
s actually running FreeBSD-6.0 (I'm a bit ashamed here...), so I would gues=
s that it is so far outdated that these things aren't supposed to work. I g=
uess I'll have to bite the bullet and reinstall the machine this weekend an=
d try again with the same config and see if that makes it any better. I'll =
come back to the list if that doesn't solve it.

Thanks for the help
/Chris
=0A=0A=0A