Date:      Mon, 04 Aug 2003 16:25:50 -0400
From:      Bob Collins <bob@anything-inc.com>
To:        "gfsd" <mattb@unix4all.serveftp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba and $

At 02:07 PM 8/4/2003 -0500, gfsd wrote:
>Why can't i create a user with a $ on the end? For machine trust accounts
>i need to add each one by hand, instead of on the fly creation. When I use
>adduser it will not let me add a user with a $ on the end, is there a way
>around that?

That is to be expected in FreeBSD and Samba. It is in the notes. So, what
you do, is make your user. The edit, by hand, the password file. vipw is
the command to use. Add the $ and save the file.

No real way around it that I know of.

-- Bob

NOTICE TO BULK E-MAILERS: Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5,
Subchapter II, 227, and all unsolicited commercial e-mail sent to this
address is subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US