Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 17:06:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kris Kirby <kkirby@pluto.cs.uah.edu>
To:        "Bruce H. Kwan" <Bruce.H.Kwan@jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Jaz Drive

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Bruce H. Kwan wrote:

> Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 10:13:45 -0800
> From: "Bruce H. Kwan" <Bruce.H.Kwan@jpl.nasa.gov>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

<snip>

> (ahc0:4:0): "iomega jaz 2GB E.15" type 0 removable SCSI 2
> sd1(ahc0:4:0): Direct-Access
> sd1(ahc0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
> sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using fictitious geometry
> 1911MB (3915600 512 byte sectors)
>
> Did I set things up incorrectly? I am unable to mount_msdos this drive
> (it's MSDOS formatted). Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, and I only know this to be true for Zip drives, the
utilities provided by Iomega set a fixed translation (geometry) that all
Iomega software recognizes. The SCSI controller has its own idea as to how
the disk should be setup geometry wise. Thus even if you had it MS-DOS
formatted, you would be unable to read it unless it was formatted as a
hard drive under DOS. I'm sure that there is someone working on this
problem, or it is already fixed.

--

Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>