Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 2021 13:22:47 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        carmel_ny@outlook.com, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gitip usage.

Carmel carmel_ny at outlook.com wrote on
Sun Apr 4 18:05:17 UTC 2021 :

> On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 19:49:04 +0200 (CEST), Helge Oldach stated:
> >Jeffrey Bouquet via freebsd-ports wrote on Sun, 04 Apr 2021 18:46:15
> >+0200 (CEST):
> >> running 12.2 STABLE, I would like a complete DEFAULTS and PORTS
> >> example for gitup.conf.
> >
> >	"defaults" : {
> >		"host"           : "git.freebsd.org",
> >		"port"           : 443,
> >		"verbosity"      : 1,
> >		"work_directory" : "/var/db/gitup",
> >	},
> >
> >	"ports" : {
> >		"repository" : "/ports.git",
> >		"branch"     : "main",
> >		"target"     : "/usr/ports",
> >		"ignores"    : [
> >			"distfiles",
> >			"packages",
> >		],
> >	},
> >
> >Note this will not work at present - migration is still underway.
> >
> >Kind regards
> >Helge
>
> This seems to work for me.
>
> 	"defaults" : {
> 		"host"           : "git.freebsd.org",
> 		"port"           : 443,
> 		"verbosity"      : 1,
> 		"work_directory" : "/var/db/gitup",
> 	},
>
> 	"ports" : {
> 		"host"       : "github.com",
> 		"repository" : "/freebsd/freebsd-ports.git",

The just-above gets you access to github's ports
repository, which is not yet based on the new git
repository.

Until https://cgit.freebsd.org starts showing ports
(in addition to the existing doc and src) not even
read-only access to the updated FreeBSD ports git
repository is available for browsing use. (Any
github update likely comes later?)

Going along with that is that the schedule listed at
https://wiki.freebsd.org/git still indicates "verifying
result in staging env" and does not yet indicate that
the "Welcome to Git" commit as in place.

Unlike for src, the ports schedule makes no mention of
the likes of "Starting pushing to external mirrors
(github, gitlab, etc.)". The following *presumes* such
will be done but the status of such in unclear.

Once github is updated(?) to be tracking the new ports
git repository, you may have some more to do to again
have things be coherent vs. the older github
repository content (hashid changes?).

> 		"branch"     : "main",
> 		"target"     : "/usr/ports",
> 		"ignores"    : [