Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 2020 12:38:55 +0000
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   vdevs with different spindle speeds

--1s3KS4sNNxfzCMdE

Hi,                                                                        =
                                                   =20
                                                                           =
                                                    =20
Normally when making an array, I'd like to use all disks all same speed,   =
                                                   =20
interface, make and model but from different batches. In this case, I've no=
                                                   =20
choice, so we have multiple 1TB disks some 7.2k some 5.4k. I've not mixed  =
                                                   =20
them like this before.                                                     =
                                                   =20
                                                                           =
                                                    =20
What effect would this have on the final array? Slower than if all one or t=
he other?                                          =20
No effect? I'm expecting the fastest access will be that of the slowest vde=
v.                                                 =20
                                                                           =
                                                    =20
Similarly some disks block size is 512b logical/512b physical, others are 5=
12b                                                =20
logical/4096 physical, still others are 4096/4096. Any effect of           =
                                                   =20
mixing hardware? I understand zfs sets its own blocksize.                  =
                                                   =20
                                                                           =
                                                    =20
thanks,                                                                    =
                                                   =20

--=20
J.

--1s3KS4sNNxfzCMdE