Date:      Sat, 05 Jan 2008 15:00:27 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Adobe Reader 8 ports

----Security_Multipart(Sat_Jan__5_15_00_27_2008_137)--

Hello all,

 As you already noticed, ports of Adobe Reader 8.1.1 have been
 committed.  I tested the functionality as much as I could, but the 15
 languages are beyond me anyway ;) So, please try them and let me know
 if it works well on your environment or not.

 ${PREFIX}/bin/acroread invokes 8.x if both 7.x and 8.x are installed.
 The logic of "acroread" is as follows:

 if ($ADOBE_VER == 7)
    invoke 7.x
 elif ($ADOBE_VER == 8)
    invoke 8.x
 elif (exists 8.x)
    invoke 8.x
 elif (exists 7.x)
    invoke 7.x
 fi

 You can also use "acroread7" or "acroread8" if you want to run the
 specific version.

 If a localized version is installed and $ADOBE_LANG is set, the
 localized version is invoked.  The logic is the following:

 if (not defined $ADOBE_LANG)
    if (defined $LANG)
        set $ADOBE_LANG based on $LANG
    else
        ADOBE_LANG:=ENU (english version)
    fi
 fi

 if (exists Adobe Reader in $ADOBE_LANG)
     invoke Adobe Reader in $ADOBE_LANG
 else
     invoke Adobe Reader in ENU (english version)
 fi

 Known problems:

  - Adobe Reader 8 needs libgtkembedmoz.so to render HTML documents.
    The current ports use it from www/linux-nvu which is the one that
    works well in my investigation.  The FreeBSD native libraries from
    xulrunner or firefox do not work AFAICT.  Please let me know if
    you have another solution---such as another more stripped-down
    distribution including libgtkembedmoz.so or so.

  - XIM does not work at least in japanese/acroread8 even if
    GTK_IM_MODULE=xim is defined.  Since several Linux users around me
    pointed out this, this seems not FreeBSD-specific.  I have heard
    that SCIM works, but I do not check it yet.

  - Gothic font family is not supported in japanese/acroread8.  I am
    not sure why, but Adobe does not provide it.