Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:04:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS Patch #8 for current available - new TCP fixes

:For parts that don't support arbitrary alignment, you have to copy.
:Now, in some of the drivers that I ported to the alpha, I only copied
:the first small section of the packet in order to get the IP header
:aligned (since failing to do this causes an unaligned access trap in
:the IP code). This is faster than copying the entire packet to fix
:the alignment, but I'm not sure what effect it has on NFS.
:
:-Bill
:
:--
:=============================================================================
:-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager, Master of Unix-Fu

    What will happen is that NFS will realign the unaligned mbufs, which
    requires a copy.  NFS previously copied in-place, but my patch rewrites
    that code to copy to a new buffer ( because copying in-place breaks
    NFS/TCP ).

    We could avoid realigning the mbufs by changing the various NFS 32 bit
    read/write macros to operate in 16 bit chunks.  This might be the best
    solution ultimately.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>