Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2001 23:26:15 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, "Christopher Farley" <chris@northernbrewer.com>, "Noor Dawod" <noor@comrax.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SCSI tape back that works under FreeBSD

I have used Exabyte, HP, Sony, Archive, and a few other 4 and 8mm helical scan
DAT drives over the past 10 years at various companies I've worked at.

HP DAT drives on average are no better or worse than any other heli-scan DAT
drive.  DAT drives are fine for light-duty backup tasks, such as a full backup
once a month and an incremental once a week (or whenever the network admin
feels
like it)

However ALL heli-scan DAT drives WILL eventually get out of alignment.  This
is
exactly what happens to a VCR.  With VCR's though, they are so cheap you just
toss them in the trash and buy another.  DAT drives are something else.

If you have only a single DAT drive in your setup you likely will not notice
this problem until the drive is very, very, very out of alignment.  But if you
have multiple DAT drives you will notice it rather quickly espically if each
drive comes from a different manufacturer, because each will go out of
alignment
differently.  The result is that after a year or so of _heavy_ use (and I'm
talking
2/3 to full usage of a tape cartridge every night) each tape drive will not be
able to read tapes from the other drive in it.  Each drive will of course
continue to
be able to read it's OWN tapes.  The problem will continue to progress until
eventually the drive claims that every tape you put in it - including ones
that
are brand new - have a large number of bad blocks on them.

Heli-scan technology was a good thing when it came out, but today there's DLT
which is much better in terms of reliability in a production environment.  If
you
must use DAT, then keep an eye on the number of bad blocks that the drive
reports
were found during a backup operation.  When that figure starts to rise then
get the tape drive realigned before you start tossing tapes.