Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2014 12:59:25 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: i386 PAE kernel works fine on 10-stable

On Sun, 2014-12-14 at 10:53 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2014, at 10:12 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:
>=20
> > On Sun, 2014-12-14 at 10:09 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >> On Dec 14, 2014, at 9:47 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> There already is a #define that is bifurcated based on PAE in pmap.h=
:
> >>=20
> >> #ifndef KVA_PAGES
> >> #ifdef PAE
> >> #define KVA_PAGES       512
> >> #else
> >> #define KVA_PAGES       256
> >> #endif
> >> #endif
> >>=20
> >> Do you think it will harm things to apply your suggested default to =
this file?
> >>=20
> >=20
> > I would have to defer to someone who actually understands just what t=
hat
> > parm is tuning.  It was purely speculation on my part that the curren=
> > default is adequate for less memory than I have, and I don't know wha=
> > that downside might be for setting it too high.
> >=20
>=20
> KVA pages is the amount of pages reserved for kernel address space:
>=20
>  * Size of Kernel address space.  This is the number of page table page=
>  * (4MB each) to use for the kernel.  256 pages =3D=3D 1 Gigabyte.
>  * This **MUST** be a multiple of 4 (eg: 252, 256, 260, etc).
>  * For PAE, the page table page unit size is 2MB.  This means that 512 =
pages
>  * is 1 Gigabyte.  Double everything.  It must be a multiple of 8 for P=
AE.
>=20
> It appears that our default for PAE leaves 1GB for kernel address to pl=
ay with?  That's an interesting default.  Wonder if it really makes sense=
 for PAE since the assumption is that you'll have >4GB ram in the box, wi=
ring down 1.5GB for kernel would seem to make sense=85  Probably make sen=
se to ask Peter or Alan on this.
>=20
> Also wondering how bad it would be to make these tunables, I see they t=
rickle down quite a bit into the system, hopefully not defining some stat=
ic arrays, but I haven't dived down that far.
>=20
> Ian, just to understand better, how much memory is in your machine?
>=20

12GB.

-- Ian