Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 01:52:45 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@mail-in.net>
To:        gwk@sgi.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Evolution won't start

On Mon, 7 May 2001 18:39:43 +0200, Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed evolution from the ports tree on a -current system.
>
> When I start evolution from the shell, I get the splash screen and
> then nothing happens.  After a while I get a message box saying
> evolution-addressbook would not respond to the save-session command.
>
> I can kill evolution-addressbook, then the same box comes back
> complaining about evolution-mail not responding (and a message on the
> terminal saying it could not start evolution-addressbook).
>
> It seems there is a problem with the communication of evolution's
> components.  Is there any special consideration that I need to pay
> attention to?  I just did the make fetch; make; make install.  The
> rest of the GNOME was installed from
> ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/extras/packages.

Sorry, but evolution in its current state just doesn't work on
FreeBSD. :((( It is not yet clear where the problem is, but we
suspect that gnome-vfs could be a showstopper here. It seems
that developers of the core gnome components have put coding
speed in front of compatibility, so we have to live with that.

Please wait some time - we are really aware about the problem
and I hope that it will be fixed soon.

-Maxim