Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:30:33 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Mike Doyle <relyod@cooperationireland.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for sendmail logfile analysis tool

At 02:00 AM 11/26/2001, Brad Knowles wrote:

>         Go to <http://www.logreport.org/>; and look at their "lire"
> package.  The last versions I saw were getting to the point where they
> were almost as good as "pflogsumm" (the best log summary output I've
> seen for any MTA), and since they have separate parsing & reporting
> modules, it will work exactly the same with sendmail, postfix, &
> qmail.  They have a web report module now, and a lot more.

I have been doing a great deal of work on log monitoring, and was
interested in working with this group until I discovered that all of
their output (including their DTDs) is GPLed. Alas, because the DTDs are
GPLed and no other documentation of their "DLF" file format is provided,
there is a serious risk of GPL contamination if one writes a program
which interoperates with theirs. Unless they agree to release their DTDs
under a truly free license, I'll have to implement something myself that
IS truly free.

--Brett