Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:37:11 -0600
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        SteveWingate@polands.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java plugin for mozilla?

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 01:20:14PM -0800, Steve Wingate wrote:
> > > * Users of installer builds on Win32 and x86 Linux can install the Java
> > > Run Time Environment (JRE) v1.3 Plug-in to add Java support to Mozilla. On
> > > Macintosh, Mozilla uses the JRE already installed on your system.
> > >
> > > I am using the Linux-mozilla binary on FreeBSD w/Java, RealPlayer,
> > > Shockwave and Flash support.
> > >
> > Steve,
> >
> > Could you describe the steps you took to get java working?
> >
> Nothing to it; I just installed the Linux-mozilla binary build and
> JRE plug-in from the mozilla website. No additional configuration
> that I recall.

For the benefit of the archives, the JRE plugin would not install on
my 4.4-STABLE box so this is what I had to do...

Install the following ports:

	linux-jdk-1.3.1
	linux-gtk-1.2_1

Go to mozilla's web site and get the latest linux binary installer.
Extract the tarball and install linux mozilla.

su and cd to /usr/local/mozilla/plugins (default location)
symlink the jdk to the plugins directory
	 ln -s /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.1/ java2

symlink the plugin to the currect directory
	 ln -s /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

Voila! java in mozilla.

Two observations,
	1) it feels like linux mozilla is faster than native
	FreeBSD mozilla although I haven't timed it and cannot explain why.

	2) Fonts are messed up in one of my favorite applets
	(http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/SSapplications/Post/JavaSSOP/JavaSSOP.html)

--
Regards,
Doug