Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 1994 23:54:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        sef@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rdump is slow

> Has anybody sat down and tried to figure out why?
>
> (rdump is taking about six hours to dump <700MBytes across an ethernet;
> doing about the same amount, spread over different filesystems, takes about
> 30-45 minutes locally, to the same tape drive.)
>
> It could be due to the ethernet, I suppose, but... I think it unlikely.
>
> Any comments?

First thing I would look at would be I/O blocking sizes, are large blocks
being transfered over the ethernet, and are large blocks being written to
the tape.

The numbers you are seeing are not what I am use to seeing with rdump when
I was using it under 1.1 to dump freefall to 4mm DAT tape at cdrom.com, use
to get about 250KB/sec or 15MB/minute or 700MB in 46 minutes....