Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2007 13:27:56 +0900
From:      JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
To:        blue <susan.lan@zyxel.com.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A and AAAA DNS query process in getaddrinfo()?

At Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:52:09 +0800,
blue <susan.lan@zyxel.com.tw> wrote:

> When looking into kame-20070801-freebsd54-snap, the function,
> _dns_getaddrinfo(), defined in getaddrinfo.c, will check if the device
> gets any IPv4/global IPv6 address before sending out any A/AAAA query by
> calling addrconfig() if the user does not specify the family type
> (AF_UNSPEC). However, FreeBSD-CURRENT (known is going to be FreeBSD7.0),
> does not do the process.
>
> Do we need to do the same check before sending out the A/AAAA query?

I'm afraid just asking this question without providing a context could
be misleading.  I guess this is a continuation of a thread of the
snap-users@kame list:

ftp://ftp.kame.net/pub/mail-list/snap-users/9541
ftp://ftp.kame.net/pub/mail-list/snap-users/9544

If so, we should discuss this with the understanding of why KAME-snap
version behaves that way, specifically referring to Section 3
(especially 3.4.1) of this document:
http://v6fix.net/docs/wide-draft-v6fix.en

We (KAME) thought the behavior was reasonable but we were also afraid
this might be too experimental to incorporate to *BSD release
versions at that time.  That's why it's not in the FreeBSD repository.
I'm interested in what others think on this.  If others think this
feature is reasonable, too, and want it, I'm happy to commit the
change to the FreeBSD repository.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.