Date:      Fri, 05 Nov 1999 13:31:15 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, (Kazutaka YOKOTA) <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vga driver and signal

On 05-Nov-99 Amancio Hasty wrote:
>  Not sure that this is as elegant as what you are suggesting , can
>  the kernel schedule a user level routine to be executed when an interrupt
>  occurs? I guess on Windoze land this is called a driver call-back.

Well.. KLD? :)
Thats about as close as it gets. You would have to reload the KLD each time
you wanted to change it.. Yech.

IMHO Mike is right, its not something FreeBSD is geared towards because of
interrupt latency. The KLD idea *could* work depending on what you wanted to do.

>  Just trying to prevent dragging the whole X server to the kernel --
>  Actually dragging the whole X server to the kernel is not a bad
>  idea --- however it is something that I can not afford to do right now :(

Well depends on your definition of 'bad'.
No paging in the kernel, which would be kind of wasteful :)

Go look at GGI for stuff about kernel gaphics drivers.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum