Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:25:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't start X server!!! Help

In article <87vt2r$a20$1@bob.news.rcn.net>,
Whee Kim <philuint@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I just installed FreeBSD 3.1 ,but I can't start X.  when I type "startx" it
>gives me following...
>
>execve failed for /usr/x11R6/bin/x (errno 2)
>-x11TransSocket UNIXConnect: Can't Connect: errno = 2  <----- this repeats.
>-x11........
>giving up
>
>xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): Unable to connect to X server
>xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error
>
>What does all that mean?
>I thought I configured X server alright with sysinstall.
>
>I have ATI Xpert 2000 32meg, AGP card.  I didn't see my card in the support
>list, but I assume it works...
>
>Please help.

I'm suddenly getting the same error, and I had a perfectly working X
installation until just the other day.  I'm completely baffled.  None
of the available documentation even mentions this error code.

XF86Setup works fine, bringing up the VGA16 server, but after configuring
to use the S3 driver, it fails when it tries to restart.

I'm getting desperate here, folks!  Any clues would be *greatly*
appreciated!
--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/