Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 15:41:58 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Nugent <davidn>
To:        ache@nagual.ru (=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7=2C_Andrey_Chernov?=)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8-bit characters in gecos field

> > I've been entertaining the idea of having pw(8) allow 8-bit
> > characters in the passwd GECOS field. It was suggested earlier

> There is no break as I see, but no sense too, because it is
> unclear what character set you use for names. I.e. when finger
> sends you some 8bit codes like this: Андрей
> Чернов, what do you do with them?

By the same token, what do you do with these characters in
a .plan or .project file?

Finger, however, is easy to fix, by sending quoted printable
with =?char-set rather than 8-bit characrters. The character
set indicator should reflect the default language applicable
for the user class.

Regards,
David