Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:59:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        Matthew Rezny <mrezny@hexaneinc.com>, Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/156405: x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati driver: no hardware rendering

>From my previous post and Niclas Zeising's response:

> > By the way, another problem I had with NetBSD was the text console screen blanking after 30 seconds inactivity and not coming back until I could find my
> >way in the dark to a root command prompt and type

> > screenblank -u

> This could be a NetBSD specific issue maybe?  As I said before, I had no
> trouble on my laptop running 'startx' from the black console, so I
> assume shutdown -r now works as long as I have a root shell.  I also
> could shut down cleanly with the power button, using acpi.  All this on
> FreeBSD.

The screen blanking after 30 seconds was NetBSD-specific, didn't happen under FreeBSD (through 8.2) or Linux (through Slackware 13.0) on the same hardware.

Graphics card was ATI Rage 128 (r128).

With recent builds of NetBSD releng-6, text console does not blank on its own, but comes back very dim after returning from X.

With NetBSD 5.1_STABLE, I could type "shutdown -r now" in the dark or startx /path/to/appropriate-xinitrc-file, that worked.

So I guess I would try that in FreeBSD WITH_NEW_XORG too, based on what I did with NetBSD on old computer.

In FreeBSD WITH_NEW_XORG, I never explicitly kldloaded i919kms.ko , forgot to mention that on last post.

I don't really know the logistics of how I'd connect two computers by Firewire, might not be able to find long-enough cable.

Would the other computer have to be running FreeBSD?

I remember OS/2 long ago offered a kernel debugger, maybe it was part of OS/2 Developer Connection, that worked through a serial connection to abother computer, which did not have to be running OS/2; DOS would have been good enough.  I never tried that.

To start X with specified conf file, something like

startx /usr/local/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.icewm -- -config xorg.conf.vesa

Just for comparison, upgrading pkgsrc X on NetBSD releng-6 resulted in mouse pointer moving right-to-left and back but not up and down.

That was this year, about June 20, which is where that installation rests now.  modular-xorg-server version was/is 1.12.4

As has been pointed out, upstream Xorg development is Linux-centric.  I guess everything else is Tier 2 or lower priority.

Tom