Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 03:39:51 -0700
From:      Steve Logue <stevel@mail.cdsnet.net>
To:        david@sparks.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Informix on linux emulation??

--------------FCC571C30909AE3EC8E3C359

david@sparks.net wrote:

> I see that Informix SE is now available for caldera and suse versions of
> linux.  Somewhere on Informix's web page it seemed they were very
> sensitive to the glibc version, which may (?) be a problem for us.

I believe this reference to glibc was related to the ESQL (embedded
SQL) portion only.

> Has anyone tried running this under the linuxulator?

Yep, and so far things are pretty good.  There are no docs to speak of in the
bundle, so one has to RTFM Informix's WWW site PDF files.  Also, I'm getting a
linux emulator error occasionally, but have not completely tracked down what
operation is causing it.  I think it is the opening of a TCP connection right
after starting sqlexecd.  This is the error that I get:

LINUX: 'ioctl' fd=5, typ=0x89(e), num=0x2 not implemented
                             ^^^

NOTE: The "e" is actually the european "e" with two dots over it.

-STEVEl

P.S.  How does one type special characters in X applications?  (Like ALT-### on
the console)?

--------------FCC571C30909AE3EC8E3C359

<HTML>
david@sparks.net wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I see that Informix SE is now available for caldera
and suse versions of
<BR>linux.&nbsp; Somewhere on Informix's web page it seemed they were very
<BR>sensitive to the glibc version, which may (?) be a problem for us.</BLOCKQUOTE>
I believe this reference to glibc was related to the ESQL&nbsp;(embedded
SQL)&nbsp;portion only.
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp;
<P>Has anyone tried running this under the linuxulator?</BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, and so far things are pretty good.&nbsp; There are no docs to speak
of in the bundle, so one has to RTFM&nbsp;Informix's WWW&nbsp;site PDF&nbsp;files.&nbsp;
Also, I'm getting a linux emulator error occasionally, but have not completely
tracked down what operation is causing it.&nbsp; I think it is the opening
of a TCP&nbsp;connection right after starting sqlexecd.&nbsp; This is the
error that I get:
<BR>&nbsp;
<P><TT>LINUX: 'ioctl' fd=5, typ=0x89(e), num=0x2 not implemented</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
^^^</TT><TT></TT>
<P><TT>NOTE:&nbsp;The "e" is actually the european "e" with two dots over
it.</TT>
<BR><TT></TT>&nbsp;<TT></TT>
<P>-STEVEl
<P>P.S.&nbsp; How does one type special characters in X&nbsp;applications?&nbsp;
(Like ALT-### on the console)?</HTML>