Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:18:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matthew Sundling <sundlm@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hollywood Plus port of linux driver

I am new to land of running my own unix-like box, please excuse
the newbie style questions...

I have tried to use Syam Gadde's Hollywood Plus port of the linux
driver, but can't quite get things to work, and maybe it's
because I don't understand...

First, I don't think I know how to change kernel module
parameters (ie set activate_loopback=1, see below for referenced
documents).  I was guessing in rc.conf or rc.loader, but I can't
seem to find the right documents to explain how (in FreeBSD) one
changes module parameters.

Basically, when I kldloaded em8300 with my monitor plugged into
the Hollywood+ using the VGA Pass-Through cable and then UPLOAD
my microcode, my screen went beserk (bad refresh rate, messed up
sync rate, or whatever).  So I plugged the monitor back into the
normal video card and all is well again.

Does this mean it is not possble to use the VGA overlay?
Is my only real option to use TV output from the Hollywood plus
card?

Has anyone had any success besides the author? (I want just want
to feel hopeful people get this working easily and I am just
overlooking something :)

Any general advice?

Can resolution settings/refresh rate of X11 cause problems?

Me:
FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #4: Mon Aug 13 23:54:58 EDT 2001
Dual-celeron 500MHz
Asus v3800 TNT2-Ultra 32MB (running 1280x[something] in X11)
Realmagic Hollywood Plus (em8300 9949 Rev B)
Toshiba SD-M1201 DVD-ROM (scsi)

Ref.1: Syam Gadde's Hollywood Plus driver port
http://www.cs.duke.edu/~gadde/freebsd/em8300/
Ref.2: Linux DXR3 and Hollywood+ Driver
http://dxr3.sourceforge.net/howto.html

Thanks,