Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 02:53:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jose Gabriel J Marcelino <gabriel@maquina.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Trouble with the bt848 driver

Hi,

I was anxious to try the bt848 video capture cards, now that they're so
cheap and got myself a Miro PCTV PAL (with a Temic tuner) card which can
be found easily in Portugal.

Then I started "broadcasting" a channel on our local ethernet using vic
(great stuff, thanks!) and got great performance, being able to send video
at nearly 30 fps (according to vic) compared to previous tries using the
Linux Bttv driver which wasn't able to get past 12 fps for some strange
reason I don't quite understand yet.

I was very happy with this setup however in a short time our FreeBSD
system froze and needed rebooting. This began to happen very frequently
whenever we were broadcasting a video stream.

We also found that even running fxtv for a while caused the system to
crash.

Is this a known problem? Is there a solution?

Our system is a Pentium 200MMX, Asus TXP4 motherboard, Matrox Mystique 4Mb
graphics card running a FreeBSD 2.2.5 system with the stock bt848 driver
and Xfree 3.3.2 with the SVGA driver

Thanks for any help you can give me.

--
Jose Gabriel J Marcelino