Date:      Tue, 4 May 2010 08:26:13 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        John <john@starfire.mn.org>
Subject:   Re: pf suggestions for paced attack

On Mon, 3 May 2010 09:41:10 -0500, John <john@starfire.mn.org> wrote:

> The script kiddies have apparently figured out that we use some
> time-window sensitivity in our adaptive filtering.  =46rom sshd, I've
> been seeing "reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo ... failed" and
> from ftpd (when I have the port open at all, which is rare), I am
> seeing probes at about 27 second intervals.  This stays well below
> the 3/30 (three connections in 30 seconds) sensitivity that I had
> been using.  It took them nearly two and a half hours to make 154
> attemps, but computers are very patient.
>=20
> I have now changed the timing window sensivity, but it's to the
> point now where there's a significant probability that someone could
> lock themselves out (temporarily, at least, I do clear these tables
> periodically) if they are having a bit of a fat-finger moment with
> their password.
>=20
> Anybody got any superior suggestions?

I'm not claiming these are superior, but they are suggestions. :-)

You might want to try security/sshguard-pf from ports.  It still uses a =
pf table to do the blocking, but hooks into syslogd and scans for =
various SSH login failure/abuse messages to add miscreants to that =
table.  (So, many successful logins won't cause a lockout.)  Sshguard =
will also block persistent offenders for progressively longer periods.  =
(Sshguard will also work with /etc/hosts.allow [security/sshguard], IPFW =
[security/sshguard-ipfw] and IPfilter [security/sshguard-ipfilter].)  =
Maintenance of the pf table is handled entirely by sshguard.

Also, you could consider instead of having a relatively short time =
window in which the connection attempts occur, you could try lengthening =
it, perhaps increasing slightly the number of permitted connection =
attempts.  So, instead of 3/30, you might use 5/300.  That still allows =
legitimate users some leeway when typing in incorrect passwords and =
allows for more multiple successful connections, but forces automated =
brute force attacks to lengthen their connection attempt delay =
considerably.  The downside is that if a legitimate user does provoke a =
lockout, he or she will be locked out for a little longer.

Cheers,

Paul.