Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:32:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Pawel Wezgowiec <pwezgowi@matinf.pcz.czest.pl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet and FreeBSD

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Pawel Wezgowiec wrote:

> I have to put two Ethernet cards into a PC box (P133 or 166 and 32 MB RAM)
> but I don't know which ones have _really_ stable drivers.

The de0 - supported cards (DEC 21x4x) are very stable, AFAIK.  And if you
get desperate the ed0 (ne2000) driver is well-tested.

> One of them would be connected to a hub with a RJ45 cable.

No problem.  The drivers are independent of the link type for the most
part.  Some cards require a -linkx parameter to decide which one to
select, but other than that they don't give a darn.

> Since the rest of the LAN (win 3.11) will be connected with SMC
> (though I don't know really which type to choose), I think another SMC
> would be OK. (am I right - and are the drivers stable for all the types?)

SMC, as in SMC manufactured cards?  They're generally OK.  An SMC is
supported under the de0, I think it's the EtherPower?  Or something like
that.

> The problem is the second card. Since this server will be serving as a router,
> it _must_ be connected to a transceiver - AUI/Fiber Optic. Is there any
> card with the AUI interface supported by FreeBSD (I think of no particular
> release - it's only supposed to be stable) and perhaps at a reasonable price ;-)

Again, the link type doesn't influence the driver.  All you need is a
card with the appropriate interface.  AUI cards shouldn't be a problem to
find.

> And the last question: It would be probably better to use PCI cards, but
> not necessarily both cards should be PCI ones.
> And the question: which one works well?

PCI cards would give you better performance, and in your case where it
looks like you're running a agteway, that would be useful.  They also
auto-configure their IRQ and port address since they're PCI.