Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 05:24:39 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Filesystems and mounting

Recently I upgraded a machine by adding a 2nd SCSI HD, partitioning
it and copying the files from drive 1 to drive 2.  Had various
problems with booting, could not find the answers in the handbook,
Lehey's book, manpages, source docs, list archives or anywhere else I
tried.  To wit:

1) What determines what menu boot0 uses?  In particular I now have a
menu that shows:

F1=DOS
F2=FreeBSD
F3=??

Why the ??  How do I change it?  Couldn't get boot0cfg to do anything
noticeable.

2) Is it true that Boot2 can only boot the filesystem 'a' from the
1st disk, without manually entering a command line?  Since I ended up
with my root partition on /dev/da0s2e, the only way I could get it to
boot was by manually typing "0:da(0,e)/boot/loader".

3) There seems to be no straightforward way to display a list of
existing partitions and/or labels on the disk at boot-time.. ie so I
can figure out what to use in an argument to boot2.  Is there some
command I'm missing?

4) What determines the alphabetic order of disklabels when the disk
is moved?  It seemed as though when I moved the new disk from SCSI
ID 1 (2nd disk) to SCSI ID 0 (1st and only disk) the letters
changed.. was this my imagination? (I thought I could just change the
disk number in fstab and leave everything else the same.. ie change
"da1s2f" to da0s2f", then remove the 1st disk, but the order seemed
to change. Then due to item 3, it was catch-22 - couldn't boot and
couldn't see which filesystem I needed to boot.. had to use a
floppy.)

Thanks,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium