Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:38:05 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Wen-jui Cheng <Adrian>" <w3cheng@wmich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Release question

"Wen-jui Cheng <Adrian>" <w3cheng@wmich.edu> wrote:

> Hello~
>
> I got a question about FreeBSD release.
>
> Why 5.2-Release is not exist on ftp site (ftp.freebsd.org
> <ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/>; )?

5.2 was replaced with 5.2.1, because 5.2 had too many show stopping
problems.

> Because I used to use 5.2-release, I want to install another pc from FTP
> site.
>
> On other hand I found 5.2.1-release is not stable, because I try to install
> Gnome or KDE or GCC34.etc
>
> They are all fail when I want to do port installation.

I can't answer this without detailed specifics on how they fail (error
messages, etc)

> I just installed 5.2.1-release version from ftp, then port install
> application, then it's fail

I would recommend grabbing one of the 5.3BETAs, or waiting for 5.3-RELEASE.
The BETAs are much more stable and production-ready than 5.2.1 was, and
5.3-RELEASE is intended to be officially announced as production ready.

I believe 5.3-RELEASE is scheduled within the next few weeks.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies