Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 1997 06:04:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!snet.net!metcalf
Cc:        ponds!ccmail.bms.com!Jeffrey_M._Metcalf, ponds!FreeBSD.ORG!questions
Subject:   Re: Looking for getopt() source

> Hello,
>
> I am presently trying to port some UNIX utilities to my DOS OS and would
> find
> my job much easier if I could get the source code for such nifty
> utilities as
> getopt().  I understand that it is part of the linker, but that doesn't
> help
> when the DOS C compilers don't understand it in their linkers.  I have
> the sources
> or FreeBSD-2.1.0 on CDROM and have searched it for the getopt() source
> code.  I
> imagine that it must be there somewhere, I just need to be told where.
> All that
> I have been able to find are function prototypes for getopt(), but not
> its base
> source code.  I would also like to port the sources for warn, err, etc.

 Well - it's not "part of the linker" as much as part of the link
step; you need to find some library to link with that defines this.

 Fortunately many such libraries exist, particularly for Windows95
and Win/NT.  In particular, for "free-ish" offerings; we've had
amazing good luck with the Cygnus effort (it's GPL'd) - see
http://www.cygnus.com.

	- Dave Rivers -