Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2007 23:09:17 +0530
From:      Girish Venkatachalam <girishvenkatachalam@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Low Level Language Suggestions: OT

On 11:57:01 Dec 31, Victor Subervi wrote:
> Hi;
> Way OT here...but don't know where else to ask ;)

I don't think so.

> I'm considering starting an open source project for language translation.
> Initially, I'll write this in python (with both MySQL and OpenLDAP for
> different needs). But the processing will be heavy duty, so I need to look
> toward a low-level language. I am not good in any :( I'm thinking Java's
> probably my best bet, just because there are more Java programmers out there
> than any other language (I think). But what about C++ or C#? Your comments
> would be appreciated.

I am yet to find something that C cannot do.

I just finished creating the web interface for my firewall product in C.
(I don't mean the interface,but the interface backend)

The inteface will be in jQuery of course. No two ways about it.
(http://jquery.com )

I have  coded support for unlimited UNDO/REDO/BACK/FORWARD (time
travel), support for concurrent processing, high performance, crash
recovery and avoided the flaws of on the fly file reading in CGI/Ajax
programming.

I used a combo of UNIX domain sockets, daemon(3),poll(2), sophisticated linked
lists with queue(3) macros, even object oriented programming all in C.

Wondering how to do OO in C?

Look at GTK.  You can embed function pointers in structures right? And
create a linked list? What more do you need for OO?

Forget protection , encapsulation and all that marketing bullshit.

We have code that works and that is what counts. Performance? Can you
ever match C?

This is a highly sensitive topic in which passions run high.

So I don't plan to create a flame war in this beautiful New Year eve.;)

Hope this helps.

Wish you the very best in your project and may God bless you with every
success!

Happy 2008!

-Girish