Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:28:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Our routed - Vern says it's old and buggy.

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:34:51 -0400 (EDT), Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net> said:
>

> > I can't quite figure why they stuck the word "open" in there, because it
> > couldn't possibly be more open than RIP.
>
> Because a previous link-state (aka shortest-path-first) routing
> protocol had been deployed which was not.
>
> > But RIP is older, and was the first routing scheme.
>
> Um, no.

I don't know which was invented first, but I have a stack of books here
that all aver that RIP was used on arpanet long before OSPF.  The date
on the rfc seems to back me up.

Which one should I quote?

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).